You already know I love a good peppermint cookie recipe (see also peppermint teacakes, peppermint sugar cookie Christmas trees, and peppermint madeleines.) And now that it’s almost the middle of December, it’s definitely time for a new sweet holiday recipe. So, this year I landed on these chocolate peppermint cookies and they are super simple, and perfectly festive.
Festive Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
So, originally I was going to make a chocolate & peppermint version of peanut butter kiss cookies…but I couldn’t quite get them to look right (even though they tasted really good!) So that turned into a chocolate cookie base with crushed peppermint and white chocolate chips. Basically the flavors you’d get in classic peppermint bark.
Now, you can crush your own peppermints or candy canes to use in this recipe. However, I took the lazy route and purchase a bag of crushed candy canes that I found in the baking section at the grocery store. I made three different batches of cookies from one bag, too.
About Cookies for Kids’ Cancer:
Cookies for Kids’ Cancer is a recognized 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to funding research for new, innovative and less-toxic treatments for childhood cancer. Since 2008, Cookies for Kids’ Cancer has granted nearly $17 million to pediatric cancer research in the form of 100+ research grants to leading pediatric cancer centers across the country. From these grants have stemmed 35+ treatments available to kids battling cancer today.
**Cookies for Kids’ Cancer is in a matching window with their friends at OXO, who will be matching every dollar raised through the end of 2021, up to $100,000. Whatever money we raise will automatically double on our fundraising page!**
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 egg
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4-1/3 cup crushed candy cane or peppermints
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- in a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, cream the butter, sugar, and brown sugar for about 2 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract and egg, mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
- Add the dry mixture into the wet ingredients a little at a time, mixing well in between.
- Add the white chocolate chips and the crushed peppermint into the dough. Mix just until evenly distributed (or stir in by hand).
- Using a tablespoon or cookie scoop, drop about 22 cookies onto a baking sheet.
- Top each scoop with a little extra crushed peppermint, for a little extra flair (I dipped each dough ball into a little bowl of crushed peppermint).
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
Looking for more holiday content? I’ve got you covered right over here!