October is here, and you know what that means: time to get spooky! I know, I know, I always enjoy reading thrillers. But in October, I like for my reading list to get a little more creepy than normal. Anyone else? This Halloween reading list includes 10 books that sound perfect for the season to me! You might even notice a couple of authors who were on last year’s Halloween reading list, too. (cough, cough: Simone St. James & Riley Sager).
I have also realized that when I start looking for spooky season books, I always find some time of creepy classic that I haven’t read. Last year I read The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson, and this year I considered a couple: The Shining by Stephen King and Something Wicked This Way Comes by Rad Bradbury. Something Wicked This Way Comes made the Halloween reading list this year…but mostly because The Shining is very long. I got a little worried that it would be the only book that I had time to read this month if I chose it! But enough chatter, let’s get to that list!
My 2021 Halloween Reading List
- Final Girls by Riley Sager
- The Death of Jane Lawrence by Caitlin Starling
- The Lighthouse Witches by C.J. Cooke
- The Broken Girls by Simone St. James
- The Drowning Kind by Jennifer McMahon
- In My Dreams I Hold a Knife by Ashley Winstead
- The Shadows by Alex North
- Cackle by Rachel Harrison
- The Final Girl Support Group by Grady Hendrix
- Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
Currently, I’m reading the final book in the Practical Magic Series, The Book of Magic by Alice Hoffman leading up to its release on October 12! If you’re looking for less horror/thriller, but still spooky season, I definitely recommend the series.
In the market for more spooky books to read? Check out last year’s reading list!